Frequently Asked Questions

Questions you might have about the union.


Q: What is the collective agreement?

A: The collective agreement (CA) is the contract between academically employed graduate students and the University of Lethbridge.

Q: What is an academically employed graduate student?

A: At the University of Lethbridge we defined an academically employed graduate student as a student who is employed by the university to perform professional work in support of the University’s teaching or research mandate, professional work in support of strategic initiatives or projects of any University unit. There are three types of academic employment a student can receive, all termed a Graduate Assistant. Those are: Graduate Assistant Teaching, Graduate Assistant Non-Teaching, and Graduate Assistant Research.

Q: What are the ways I can get paid as a student?

A: As a graduate student you may receive a GA Teaching or Non-Teaching, these are contracts with the university that support professional development. Typically students receive a GA Teaching and are assigned to assist in with the teaching of undergraduates. A GA Research is provided to a graduate student from a PI to perform work that IS NOT related to the students thesis work. If your PI would like to pay you to perform your own thesis work they can pay you a stipend. Lastly, graduate students are able to work jobs outside the university at their discretion, but these jobs are not considered academic employment and do not fall under the purview of the CA.

Q: What happens if the faculty go on strike?

If you have any questions not answered in the FAQ section here, please visit our contact page and submit the contact form.